Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rogue RIver to Sunol Layover

Tuesday on the Road











I love rainstorms. Tuesday afternoon we drove South on I-5 through Sacramento in a torrential downpour, the likes of which I have only experienced in the tropics during monsoon season. The view through the windshield as I drove was of water. Water in the sky, water streaming down the windshield, water saturating the orchards, water spraying from the road obscuring my vision. At stops for gas, the rain poured off the roofs in sheets… but it was warm.

I love the power of intention too, and am also sometimes wary of it’s power … On Tuesday night, Marcus and I stood in the parking lot of our destination, Sunol Regional Park, talking about that last leg of our journey through the rain. “I was edged out, just for myself but especially for the students, thinking about how we were going to get camp set up for 40 people in the pouring rain. And then just as we got off the freeway did you see how the rain stopped and the sky opened up ahead of us…” Though last week the forecast for Sunol called for heavy rain through the end of the week, we set strong intentions out for a dry and even sunny day in the park. Sure enough, After our day of wandering on Wednesday, a trucker pulled into the road to the still-dry camp, lost and looking for directions. He told us that just nine miles away it had been pouring rain all day as we lay in the sun and walked barefoot on the warm earth.

We are truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment